Thursday, March 15, 2012

The Disney Princess Half


Let's face it: I'm not even close to being a very fit person. It's been that way for most of my life. Well, recently in my life I decided that I'm finally going to take matters into my own hands and change that. That's why, on February 24, 2013, my sister, Taralyn, and I (and anyone who wants to join us *hint hint*) are running the Disney Princess Half Marathon. If you don't understand this already, you need to take a minute and absorb what a massively huge deal this is for me. I was always one of the last kids to finish the mile during those good ole Presidential Fitness days. If I'm going to work out, I would rather do anything but run--I have always hated it. 

I've known about runDisney events for a long time now, ever since my first week working at Disney World just barely three years ago. It never tempted me. I didn't even give it a second thought after that day when I helped cheer on the runners going through Epcot on one of my first days at work. A few weeks ago, I was having dinner with Taralyn and my cousin, Melissa, and they started discussing their desires to run a marathon. It reminded me of runDisney, and that night I started doing some research for them.

Then came the big shocker. I started getting really excited and happy while reading the info about the Disney Princess Half. But, the surprise came when I realized that I wasn't feeling excitement and happiness on their behalf. I was feeling it for myself! I received a very strong prompting that night that over the next year, I need to be training, with the end goal of running the Princess Half in February. No one is more surprised than me. What makes it even more so is the fact that it was my idea to begin with.

This is going to be an incredibly long and difficult journey for me. I already know that there will be times when I want to give up. I will probably even try to from time to time. That's why I want people to know. The more people there are rooting for me and counting on me to do this for myself, the more motivation I will have to actually do it. I need help from people who love me, care for me, or even just know about me. 

I can't give up, and I need people to help me remember that. This journey that I will be embarking on over the next 10 1/2 months is going to change my life. I know that if I can just pull it off, my life will never be the same again. I know I will have love and encouragement from my family and from my Heavenly Father, but now I need it from everyone else!

9 comments:

Tianna said...

I've heard really good things about the Couch to 5K program. Even better, it's free! Its main goal is to take people who aren't fit and make them fit to run a 5K. I believe there's another program that takes it the next step up to a half marathon or a marathon. But I don't know what it's called. I've considered the Couch to 5K program myself, except that requires running. :) Though, usually my excuses are things like it's too cold or I'm pregnant. I guess both of those excuses are gone. Maybe I should start considering doing the Couch to 5k again…

Good luck! This'll be great for you!

Momma Kaye said...

You can do it, Taunalee! I've been on an exercise/eating right program since January 1st of this year, and so far, I've lost 20 pounds! It is slow, but steady. You just have to decide for yourself though. No one can really make you do it; I say that because I was always leaning on Ben or someone to encourage me.... The truth is, this is an individual battle for some of us, and we have to slay the dragon, with heaven's help, but mainly, wisely using the agency we have been given. I know you can do it, Taunalee. You are a beauty (inside and out) already. Go for the gold!

Tiffany said...

I am so glad you posted this! I am super excited for you if not a little jealous. I have always wanted to do this, but Florida . . . I can't do it there!!! :) Let me know when you 2 start training and I will do it with you from a far.

I love you!

The Clarks said...

this is the coolest idea! i've never heard of this marathon! we're so excited for you, taunalee! go go go!! =) we love you!

Stuart Clark said...

This is awesome and the best part is it is YOUR idea and that's why I KNOW you'll succeed. You have never failed at anything you put your mind to!!!

Love,
Mom

Taralyn said...

Everyone else is encouraging you, so let me be honest. ;) I'll kick you in the face if you quit! Hee hee. So excited! I walked/ran 30 minutes today and think I might die...let the games begin.

Tiffany said...

"I'll kick you in the face" ha ha We are totally getting in shape too!!! I want to hear more about your training!!!!!

Tiffany said...

(Bryan Here) Month to date I have lost 19 lbs!! I have been eating healthy and running/walking every other day. I know you can do it if I can!

Taunalee said...

Yay Bryan and Tiffany and Taralyn and Momma Kaye! You're all awesome. :) Yeah I can totally do this. :D